Friday 18 March 2011

Large Format & Flash Workshop

A few weeks ago we had a really interesting sign up workshop with our tutor Jonathan. We used Wista and Bronica to try and balance ambient light with fill in flash. It was a really cool experience, and we found out some of the places were Jonathan has worked, which was just crazy and made me panic ever so slightly. Think British Vogue, Paolo Roversi... gah!

I learnt a LOT about balancing light and changing apertures to accommodate for extra light. Taking 4 light-meter readings on a scene etc. All very handy! I'd like to start shooting on film more. For my upcoming project I am shooting interiors and portraits on large format (it's probably my favourite to shoot on... just a little long winded and expensive).

We had the workshop at Chatham dockside in this room:


That is the fight scene from the Sherlock Holmes movie, fact fans. Here are a few of Kevin's sketchbook pages of our notes, with yours truly on Fuji instant shot on a Polaroid back for Wista, easily one of the coolest things I've used so far. Plus some "hilarious" annotation from me...



No comments:

Post a Comment