Monday 2 November 2009

My Bad...

I haven't posted in a long time!

What's new?!

I've moved to Rochester in Kent. Consequently finishing at the exhibition. Started my degree, and to be honest am finding it very difficult. It's so different to being in London everyday, surrounded by real stuff and having to be professional and try and deal with the real world!

I'm all for having deadlines and briefs, it's the closest an education system is going to get to the real world isn't it, it's just that I am really not into the things we are getting to do.

For instance... the first project was called "First Sight", using black and white 35mm to document a new experience. I chose two ideas from my shortlist, ("the young folks" and "leaving London") of which I only printed from one set. My images were received well, even complimented, so I don't understand what it is that's made me so against the whole project?!

Another was "Brief Encounters", which was shooting on the street using medium format. I worked with a lovely girl called Amanda and we decided to scout Mothers as our subject matter. The last project was Internal Landscapes, I decided to shoot a miniature set depicting a drive in movie, as my original idea of railway model deer hadn't worked out (I couldn't find them within the space of a week!).

I think the dead set briefs are making me steer away, I mean my main interest is Fashion, of course this doesn't mean I can't try my hand at everything else, I think when people are saying "you HAVE to use this format" and "you HAVE to come up with this certain idea" it just takes it all away for me. Still I gave it my best shot, ended up liking each of the results, but still for me they won't touch on the happiness I get out of a good image of a pretty girl that I've shot.
Shallow, maybe!

Our next briefs are: to make a pinhole camera out of something interesting and shoot landscape, large format interiors, and a digital composite landscape. So basically, I am completely uninterested and have decided that as well as completing these, I'm going to start doing my own work on the sideline. This started with my friend Blane asking me to shoot his Fashion Promotion second year project, which I agreed to do, and now I have quite a few fashion shoots to be getting on with. Very pleased with this! Meeting with the stylists, trying to figure out their needs and equipment we should use is just so much closer to what I thought (and still think) i should be doing. I love collaborating, sure I can work on my own but everyone coming together to create something is just somehow so much better at the moment for me!

Blane's shoot is tomorrow and we are shooting "Vice magazine style". We had a bit of a brainstorm a few weeks ago and decided to shoot digital for the quick turnaround (his hand in is soon) and use a Bronica SQB for some black and white square shots, hoping to make them look as grimy and grainy as possible. The digitals will be edited in the same way, colour though, probably saturated a bit, lomograph style. Using one continuous light with reflector, a simple movable set up in the basement so we can capture the moments rather than have everything dead set. It has to look real and relaxed and casual, obviously at the same time has to be captured well and look great as editorial. I'm dead nervous, not sure why, I think it's the biggest shoot to date with two models, stylist, stylists assistant, myself and one or two assistants for me! Will post details tomorrow and behind the scenes.

Also have an ongoing project about Tracing Memory, I've decided to focus on my adoption and the material things I've got relating to it; whether or not they create memories or are proof of a memory or lost moment in time. I'm thinking this could either go really well and I'll feel at peace with it all and myself or I'll have a nervous breakdown and never shoot another thing! [/dramatic].

Leave you with some images from First Sight...













































































Also really need to send of CDs of 60s indoor shoot, another for the to do list!

No comments:

Post a Comment